There’s a second party, the CONSUMER OF HEATHCARE, who receives the service.
Are You Listening?
Now we have come full cycle to the place where I as a Physician Executive will ask some questions. This set of questions is only for you the “second party” of our FOR-PROFIT HEALTH CARE INSURANCE MODEL.
The generally disenfranchised participant of our Healthcare Insurance Model. Do you know where you sit in our health care ballpark?
Are you aware of the TECTONIC PLATES are at your feet?
How does the COST of the FOR-PROFIT HEALTH CARE INSURANCE MODEL impact you?
Remember, the third party-the PAYOR is actually the For Profit Health Insurance Model with multiple payors from private (Insurance Companies) to public (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, TRICARE, Indian health Service) to individual (ACA Marketplace).
Many are underserved (Underinsured) or have no health care insurance at all (Uninsured). There is also a group of you who just don’t use your health care insurance (Noncompliant).
Become familiar with the tools you have at your disposal and don’t be afraid to apply them.
- learning the motivation and machinations of the insurance industry
- understanding how to read medical research and literature
- seeking expert opinions about how to craft appeals which will be reviewed by the medical and legal community before approval
- thinking creatively about how to transfer liability to the insurance company should they disapprove a procedure
- joining diverse patient discussion groups nationwide
You know where you sit in the Health Care Ballpark. You have taken a step toward becoming an informed healthcare consumer. Step up to the plate. Swing away.